Chrome nail art is here to stay. Learn to master the reflective and metallic trend with step-by-step tutorials for four varied looks. Expand your repertoire and welcome new ways to add glitz to your clients’ nails with metallic powders and polishes. Get the scoop on what seasoned nail artists are doing with chrome pigment powders. Here, four chrome-inspired looks that are sure to cause whiplash.
Artist: Pattie Yankee
1. Prep the nail, then apply gel base coat and cure. Apply two coats of a silver metallic gel polish, curing after each.
2. Randomly press silver transfer foil over the nail, allowing the tacky layer to adhere the foil to the nail. Apply a gel top coat and cure. Remove the tacky layer.
3. Apply black striping tape across the base of the nail. Add a second piece of striping tape down the length of the nail.
4. Adhere three crystals to the corner of the design. Finish with gel top coat and cure.
Artist: Teana Grigorash
1. Prep the nail, then apply gel base coat and cure. Apply two coats of a black gel polish, curing after each.
2. Use black sculpting gel to create rows of three raised ovals down the nail, flash curing after each and then fully curing after finishing the design. Next, apply gel top coat, cure and wipe.
3. Apply gel base coat to the raised portion of the nail only and cure. Press silver transfer foil to the raised pattern. Finally, seal the design with gel top coat and cure.
Artist: Yoko Badi
1. Prep the nail, then apply gel base coat and cure. Apply one coat of black gel polish and cure. Then apply a thin layer of no-wipe gel top coat and cure.
2. Mix red chrome powder and purple chrome powder together with a flat brush. Use a sponge applicator or silicon brush to apply the mixture down the center of the nail. Then, apply the chrome pigment to the left side of the nail, and the TK to the right side, blending along the midline. Apply gel top coat and cure.
3. Use a detail brush to paint open lips in the center of the nail with black gel. Paint lines from the bottom lip to create drip lines. Cure. Apply no-wipe gel top coat to the lips and cure.
4. Apply chrome powder over the lips using a silicon brush. Wipe away the excess powder around the lips. Paint teeth with white gel polish. Cure. Apply gel top coat to seal the entire nail and cure.
Heart of Gold
Artist: Natalie Minerva
1. Prep the nail, then apply gel base coat and cure. Apply one coat of liquid chrome. Then apply a thin layer of no-wipe top coat and cure.
2. Create a diamond pattern across the nail with gold striping tape. Begin by applying one stripe down the center of the nail, then a second across the nail. Next, apply two more stripes, crisscrossing over the first. Continue adding tape until you create a diamond shape.
3. Apply one coat of gel top coat, encapsulating the geometric pattern. Place a gold crescent moon charm to the center of the design, and cure. Apply another layer of gel top coat over the charm and cure.
How are you taking chrome nails to the next level? Let us know in the comments below!
[Images Courtesy of Cory Sorensen]