Butterfly-inspired nail art can include bold designs that mimic the creatures’ wings. This seasonal style complements the spring flower blooms in March with these nail art looks and tutorials created by Frances Liang of New York.
“I was inspired by the details found in each unique butterfly wing.” —Frances Liang
1. Apply two coats of lavender polish.
2. Use a detail brush to paint a diagonal arc across the lower third of the nail with purple polish.
3. Next, use a detail brush to paint a line of black polish where the two polish colors meet. Thicken the line towards the top of the nail and, once dry, apply top coat to complete your butterfly-inspired look.
1. Apply two coats of blue polish.
2. Use a detail brush to paint a scalloped design at the midline of the nail with gold polish. Fill in the top of the nail with gold polish. Then, paint the bottom of the nail with a very thin layer of gold polish. To create a gradient, apply a second coat of gold polish to the free edge.
3. At the free edge, paint vertical lines of varying lengths and three thin triangles with blue polish. At the midline of the nail, outline the scalloped design with blue polish to create three crescent shapes. Then, paint three circles, connecting the design at the top of the nail with blue polish. Finish with top coat to complete your butterfly design.
1. Paint a diagonal stripe across the center of the nail with sheer blue polish. Then, paint the rest of the nail with sheer pink polish, allowing the colors to bleed together.
2. Use a detail brush to paint a think line around the border of the nail with black polish.
3. Paint an arch on the lower left side of the nail with black polish. Then, paint five lines from the arch to the edge. (Widening the lines where they meet the edge will soften the design). To finish, apply top coat to complete your butterfly design.
What do you think of butterfly-inspired nail art? Let us know in the comments below!
This story was originally published in the March 2017 issue of NAILPRO.
[Images: (Headshot) Courtesy of Frances Liang; (Nail Art) Armando Sanchez]
Nailspiration: Pretty In Porcelain