Small businesses across the country are hiring. According to a survey by American Express’ Small Business Network, nearly half (46%) of small business respondents reported that they plan to hire more staff over the next six months, up from 35% reported the previous year, and about 4 out of 10 said they needed to hire seasonal help. If your salon is one of those businesses in need of new blood, try these eight tips from American International Industries to ensure you hire a stellar staff:
1. Offer cash incentives to current employees for leads that turn into hires.
2. Before combing your community for new sales-people, consider promoting your current employees. These people have proven their loyalty and understand how your business works.
3. Advertise in well-known industry publications, newsletters, and online.
4. Frequent events that attract the type of employees you seek.
5. Avoid asking interview questions that only require a yes or no answer. If you want to get a feel for a candidate’s personality and work ethic, ask questions that stimulate discussion.
6. A candidate may look great on paper, but how reliable are her credentials? Compare candidates’ resumés in addition to checking references.
7. If you like a candidate and want to bring her back for a second interview, plan to have lunch or coffee, and arrange to bring along a trusted employee. The casual setting gives you a different view of the candidate, and your employee can offer useful feedback.
8. Sell the job. What makes it unique? Stress rewards for hard work and opportunities for personal growth, but don’t go overboard and make the position something it isn’t.
Best of luck!
[Image: Kristina D.C. Hoeppner]