CND partnered with Vanity Projects to design the nails for THE BLONDS show at Miami Swim Week 2021 this past weekend.
Drawing inspiration from the design duo’s Halston-inspired ’80s capsule collection, Ayumu Takasawa worked closely with David Blond to articulate his vision through the length, shape and audacious crystals that reflect the time, inspiration and collection itself. Takasawa was the lead nail designer for the show and is the lead artist at Vanity Projects.
Check out the three exclusive designs and step-by-step guides from Takasawa.
Rhinestone Strip Nail
- Paint nails using two coats of CND SHELLAC in Cherry Apple.
- Top with CND SHELLAC Top Coat, and let dry.
- Once dry, use brush-on nail glue to adhere a strip of rhinestones to the nail. Courtesy of The BLONDS Show at Miami Swim Week
- Starting at the cuticle, apply a thin strip of glue down the center, and place one to two large rhinestones. Add more glue below that if necessary, and place two to three medium stones.
- Repeat with small and extra small stones until the length of the nail has a strip of rhinestones, and let the glue dry.
Full Rhinestone Nail
- Paint nails using two coats of CND SHELLAC in Black Pool.
- Top with CND SHELLAC Top Coat and let dry.
- Once dry, use brush-on nail glue to begin applying rhinestones.
- Use three to four different sizes of black rhinestones starting at the cuticle, brush glue on approximately a quarter of the nail and begin placing large rhinestones.
- Fill in the spaces between with small and extra small rhinestones.
- When the glue has been fully covered, brush glue on another quarter of the nail, and continue applying rhinestones,. Then start adding medium-sized stones, and fill in the spaces between stones with small rhinestones.
- Repeat using small and extra small stones until the nail is covered, and let the glue dry.
French Rhinestone Nail
- Paint the nail using two coats of CND SHELLAC in Sweet Cider, and let dry.
- Using a complementary color, paint a thick, curved band along the cuticle from side wall to side wall. This band should be about as thick as the rhinestones you will be using.
- Use the same color to paint a French tip. Let the nail dry.
- Once dry, use brush-on nail glue to begin applying rhinestones. Use three to four different sizes of rhinestones.
- Brush glue along the band of color at the cuticle, and apply stones in a row to cover the color. Use small stones on either side to fill in leftover gaps.
- To cover the French tip, brush glue on approximately half of the French design, and start by placing a few large rhinestones that are evenly spaced out. Then fill in gaps using medium, small and extra small stones.
- Repeat this to finish filling the French tip with stones. Let the glue dry.