Courtesy of Nettie Davis
Founder of Pottle Seanette "Nettie" Davis allows us a peek into her career in the nail industry.
- What inspired you to join the professional nail industry?
"I was great at the craft at an early age, and it helped me get what I wanted."
- When and how did you get started in your career?
"I got my license in 2001 and started in a salon in Houston, Texas, right away."
- As a female leader/professional, what are some obstacles you experienced, and how did you overcome them?
"On the sets of Hollywood, it seems that lighting and camera-related obstacles are met with patience, but the glam squad is always rushed. We simply stand our ground.
- Have you confronted gender-related roadblocks in your career?
"I have confronted more racism than gender roadblocks. Gotta keep on showing up with a smile, and do your best.
- How can women support other women in this industry?
"We can buy/trade with one another. Most of all cheer each other on. The journey does not seem so scary when you are not alone.
- Tell me about another woman who has inspired you.
"There is too many to count, but my mom has survived the craziest things."
- What is one thing you know now that you wish you could have known when you started in this business?
"Not to panic when I could not afford to jump on the latest trend. It is best to figure it out instead of loading up on supplies."
- What other key learnings and practices do you wish you to share with other professionals?
"Our industry is producing way too much waste. We need more sustainable systems."
- Where do you find education, and how do you continue growing your skills and business?
"Online is a great source, but nothing beats a classroom. Collaborating with other techs and learn new hacks."
- What obstacles have you faced, and how did you overcome them?
"Nail art was expected to be done in a jiffy on set so I armed myself with stickers and nail wraps of every kind.
- What tips do you have for aspiring and budding nail techs?
"Stop comparing yourself to others. Get a wonderful group who will hold you accountable and you will succeed."
Seanette "Nettie" Davis shares more of her story in the January/February 2022 issue of Nailpro magazine.