Courtesy of Devin Strebler
Owner of '90s-inspired nail salon Nail Addicts and creator of NAILZ BY DEV products, nail artist Devin Strebler, who is based in Largo, Florida, shares her journey and advice as a business owner and nail tech.Nails by @nailz_by_dev
- What inspired you to join the professional nail industry?
“Growing up, I was always really good at art; I also loved getting my nails done—but hated that every time I would get designs, they never turned out how I wanted them to, so I decided to teach myself and practice on friends before finally turning it into a career!”
- When and how did you get started in your career?
“My whole life, my mom owned a hair salon and did hair, and I was always going to the beauty supply stores with her and was interested in the nail stuff they had! I would buy striper polishes and practice my designs on myself, my fake nail tips and my friends. I attended American Institute of Beauty for my nail technician license but really learned the most outside of school practicing on my own!”
- As a female leader/professional, what are some obstacles you experienced, and how did you overcome them? Have you confronted gender-related roadblocks in your career?
“I have never experienced gender-related roadblocks.”Nails by @nailz_by_dev
- How can women support other women in this industry?
“Women can support other women by sharing others’ work and uplifting/complimenting each other!”
- Tell me about another woman who has inspired you.
“Vivian Rahey, the owner of Pamper Nail Gallery, has inspired me my whole career; she is an amazing business owner and artist who now works from home doing press-ons and TikTok videos. She is absolutely incredible, and I aspire to be as good as her!”Nails by @nailz_by_dev
- What is one thing you know now you wish you would have known when you started in this business?
“One thing I know now I wish I would have known in the beginning of my career is do not be afraid to charge what you feel your work deserves! Your prices will attract the right clientele and set boundaries! If you are your own boss, you make the rules. Sometimes people will try to walk all over you in this industry.”
- What other key learnings and practices do you wish you to share with other professionals?
“Honestly, I will say that the best learning is PRACTICE! The consistency of practicing and focusing on your craft will make you better and better. Do not be afraid to try new things—everyone starts somewhere, and you will only get better.”