Each day in the month of October, we'l pick a favorite Halloween nail art design - and tomorrow...
The Glossies 2015: An Entry-Level Nail Competition
After a successful first run, the Glossies competition is back! Perfect for creative techs who’ve always wanted to compete, but have been too nervous to take the plunge, this competition is done on your own time—no travel plans, no entry fees and no time clocks required! All entries are submitted by photograph and evaluated by our team of NAILPRO Competition judges.
There will be four sets of competitions—with two unique challenges each time—for a total of eight competitions. Enter one, two or all of them—it’s entirely up to you! Each competition will award a first, second and third place winner based on the NAILPRO Nail Competition points system. At the end of the competition series, the competitor with the most points will be awarded the grand prize. In other words, the more points you rack up, either through stellar work or the number of competitions you enter (or both), the better your chance at winning.
Competitors who place first, second and third in the individual competitions will each receive a certificate as well as have his/her photo featured in NAILPRO magazine. The grand prize winner will be announced in June 2016 at the International Beauty Show in Las Vegas and will receive:
- A two-page story in NAILPRO magazine
- $1,000 in products
- A year-long mentorship with the 2015 NAILPRO Cup champion
- Free entry into any NAILPRO Nail Competition for the next year
Do You Qualify?
The Glossies are open to all licensed beauty professionals, nail professionals who reside in states or countries in which licensing is not required and current students who have never won first place in any nail competition. Proof of licensure or qualification (such as school enrollment certificate or letter confirming salon employment) may be required.
Here's a sneak peek of the upcoming categories and the deadlines so that you can get a head start!
All submissions for Competition #1 are due September 30, 2015.
Winners will be announced in the January 2016 issue.
French Twist: Complete a full set of competition-style enhancements that reflect an original and artistic interpretation of traditional French style pink-and-whites using only flat paper or metal forms or tips. Competitors may use any combination of light pink, clear or white enhancement products (liquid-and-powder acrylic, light-cured gels, wraps, resin, etc.). Enhancement products containing light-colored glitter of any size (silver, gold, white opalescent and pale pink opalescent) are the only colored enhancement products that may be used. All enhancement products must be applied after tips and forms have been applied to the natural nail, and the surface of the nail enhancements must be flat. The following rules also apply:
- No embellishments may be used.
- Only unaltered clear adhesives may be used to attach tips.
- No plastic molds of any kid may be used to for the nail.
- Nail enhancements must be finished to a high shine by buffing, applying top coat or using a gel sealant, only.
Hand-Painted Nail Art (Theme: Folk Art): The theme of this competition is Folk Art. Entries must be an interpretation of the theme and consist of a set of 10 individual manufacturer tips secured to a plain, flat surface. The length of the tips must be no longer than 2 inches and no wider than ¾ inches if they were flattened out, and tips must be graduated in size. The design must be done by hand painting only and the surface of the nail must be completely flat.
All submissions for Competition #2 are due November 20, 2015.
Winners will be announced in the March 2016 issue.
It’s All About the Bling: Complete two hands with bling-type embellishments. All types of nail embellishments are allowed, there is no preferred length (although, you will be judged on the shape of the nails) and no amount of bling is too much. Top coat or UV gel sealant may be used, but please note that art or embellishments of any kind are not allowed to be embedded in the base nail extensions. Also, any and all types of copyrighted art, designs or logos are not allowed.
Before & After: This competition is designed to compare an untouched left hand (before) with a manicured right hand (after). No products whatsoever shall be present or used on the left hand (before). The right hand (after) can be manicured natural nails or the nails may have added enhancements and/or embellishments. The only requirement is that if nail enhancements are used, two of the nails on the right hand (after) must be polished with red color. Competitors will submit photos of both the left hand (before) and right hand (after).
All submissions for Competiton #3 are due January 20, 2016.
Winners will be announced in the May 2016 issue.
Salon Success: Nails must be created with flat paper or metal forms or clear tips using professional products only. (White tips are not allowed.) One hand must be polished with red cream lacquer or gel polish, and the other hand must be unpolished in a French style (pink or clear and white) and finished to a high shine. Among other criteria, nails are judged using a few distinct and precise measurements. Nails must have:
- The nail should be half the size of the nail bed, more specifically, there should be a 2:1 ratio of nail bed (pink) to free edge (white) as measured from the center of the smile line.
- Product must be thinly applied near the cuticle, reinforced at the stress area and tapered to the free edge to a thinness suitable for salon-style enhancements, .03 - .05 inches
- C-curves must be consistent and the arc must measure between 120º and 144º.
Mixed Media (Theme: Scottish Heritage): The theme of this competition is Scottish Heritage. Entries must be an interpretation of the theme and the finished set of nails must consist of a set of 10 individual manufacturer tips. Tips must be no longer than 2 inches in length and no wider than ¾ inches if they were flattened out, and they must be graduated in size. Also, finished tips must be wearable. The finished design may encompass all 10 tips as a picture, but each tip must remain individual. Additionally, competitors must use 3-D nail art, hand-painted nail art and embellishments to complete their design, and the following rules apply:
- All 3-D art must be created with professional nail products and the design may not protrude more than 1” in height from the tip surface.
- Only paint and nail polish may be used for hand painting; gel polish is not allowed.
- Embellishments must not exceed 25 percent of the overall design.
All submissions for Competiton #4 are due by March 20, 2016.
Winners will be announced in the July 2016 issue.
Design Sculptured Nails (Theme: Swirls): The theme of this competition is Swirls. Entries must be an interpretation of the theme and competitors must complete a set of 10 competition-style nail enhancements using forms and colored acrylic products in an original and artistic way. Competitors may only use acrylic liquid-and-powder products; color powders and color additives are also allowed. Glitter powder may be used but must not be included in more than 10 percent of the design. Please note that tips, adhesive, embellishments, paint or nail polish are not allowed. Also, any and all types of copyrighted art, designs or logos are not allowed. When creating the nails, the following rules apply:
- The surface of he enhancement must be flush with no raised surfaces.
- C-curves must be consistent, and the arc must measure between 170º and 180º
- The nail extension must be the same length as the nail bed, more specifically, the length must be a 1:1 ratio.
- Nail thinness should be .03 to .05 inches.
- No molds, tools (i.e, impression tools) or electric files may be used.
- Nail enhancements must be finished to a high shine by buffing, applying top coat or using a UV gel sealant, only.
3-D Design (Theme: Coney Island): The theme of this competition is Coney Island. Entries must be an interpretation of the theme and the theme must be on all 10 tips. Entries must consist of a set of 10 individual manufacturer tips, no longer than 2 inches and no wider than ¾ inches if they were to be flattened out, and tips must be graduated in size. Additionally, the design must be wearable and it may not protrude more than 1 inch in height from the tip surface. Plus, the finished tips must remain individual and not be secured to one another. Competitors must also submit a written statement in two parts: the first, detailing the products and processes, and the second, your interpretation of the theme. (Note: Please do not name specific brands or manufacturers in the written statement.)
When creating the design, the following rules apply:
- Any and all types of copyrighted art, designs or logos are not allowed.
- Embellishments may be used, but must not exceed 25 percent of the total design.
- All nail art must be made using professional nail products.
- Top coat, UV gel sealant or glitter polish may be used.
- When finished, the 10 tips must be securely fastened to a plain, flat surface (one color, no texture and no mirror) that is a maximum of 6” in length, 8” in width and ¼” in height.
By entering, you consent to the Contest Rules and Qualifications.
Want to be in the Glossies' Facebook group to ask advice and get tips for entering? Click here and ask to join.